Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pirates!

I am a Librarian and I like to keep up with what the kids are reading or what books I want to recommend so I am frequently reading young adult literature or books for elementary students. Over spring break I am reading Isle of the Swords. It is a pirate story and I am loving it! I love the adventure, the language, the word pictures... I can see the island that the author writes about. I felt the terror as one of the main characters was whipped. I could taste the fear as they were being hunted by the evil and ruthless pirate Thorne....  Can you tell I am into it?

Why am I so drawn to fiction? I love historical fiction! It is my favorite genre to read. The more historical the better. I am drawn to the way the characters in this book are so fearless. They know how to use weapons. They don't shy away from a battle. They are resourceful when cornered. They are chivalrous. I could go on and on....

It's interesting that these are also the things I long for in my spiritual life. I want to walk through this world fearless, confident in my faith and in my God. I want to know and use the weapons that God has provided me... to be knowledgeable  in the Word of God, to be in such close communion with my God that I can walk through this world confidently and securely. 
These are the things I want to remember:

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

James 4:7 ( this verse makes me think Jedi, but that's another post)
"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

Exodus 20:2
"I am the LORD your God"

5 comments:

  1. Good one!

    What ages would this series be for? Could Anna read them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Age-wise yes. This is also a Christian author. I try to stack our library with books by Christians. What is she into? Would she like pirates?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - I'm always looking for some great books for the boys and this sounds perfect! So happy you are blogging. I look forward to some more book suggestions from our friendly librarian. btw - you must the the most stylist librarian ev-er!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, my friend! We are very glad to finally see his face, and have been so fortunate that our wait has been much shorter than average.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LIZANNE! i was so excited to see you on my blog! thanks for the advice.

    i can't believe you have teenagers. that is crazy talk.

    ReplyDelete